Monday, April 25, 2011

See Me

I wanted to post after our read-thru/ sing-thru last week, but found myself an old lady and tired :) After hearing our ever so talented cast sing through the entire show, I remembered how much it had touched me. This show is something special for all young kids going through any sort of religious, sexual, or personal confusion. I found tears forming during parts of Act II and this was just sitting in chairs singing! I can't wait to see what happens once blocking is learned and we get to play.
I relate much to Nadia. In high school, I gained weight, I thought myself to be ugly, and I was that kid that stayed at home every weekend and listened to musicals in my bedroom, yet I all I wanted was to fit in. I never wanted to go to parties or drink or anything of that nature, I was just a dreamer. I think being that way caused me to know myself all the more and that is why I know exactly who I am today.
Even though I was a modest, not-so-foul-mouthed, Nadia in high school, I will be someone of total opposition in this show. I play Tanya, and she is a character that is an advocate of partying and drinking and even drugs. I think she is smart enough to know when to stop but she wants everyone in on the fun. Tanya dates the school's drug dealer and, reading though the script, I found out he is the one that gives Jason the vial. This will put much guilt on Tanya. Listening to the finale in my car and seeing this situation through Tanya's eyes, I found it all the more heartbreaking.
I am anxious to start blocking tonight and see where this show takes us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment