Monday, May 30, 2011

God Don't Make No Trash

Okay, Hell Week has begun! Starting on Saturday we will rehearse/perform 7 days straight...Yesterday was the first time with the band and they sound AMAZING! The addition of the drums and guitars really add to the energy of the show. It is going to sound superb!

Watching the videos of some of the fellow actors that have been posted on the New Line webpage, it got me a thinkin'.

"Why should people see this show?"
Well, SUPPORT! And this show is something real. Everyone can relate to a character. Whether it be someone who is or was not popular, someone who is in the closet, someone who is out of the closet, someone who supports, someone who is scared, someone who is religious, and someone who is not. It's all in there. We all have had issues through the process of growing up, and I believe those issues stay with you and form you into the kind of person you become.

After attending Catholic school for nine years, I decided to go to a public high school, It astounded me to realize not all people were Catholic, I almost stuck my nose up to them, because in Catholic School, YOU ARE CATHOLIC and your beliefs are the true ones. I switched to a much more "God-like" Catholic school in 7th grade, where our principal made us learn how to serve at church, made us pray before every event, and even told certain kids their socks were too low????Right? We had to know a collection of prayers or we could not graduate, and our priest wouldn't allow any sort of instruments in the church besides a piano and guitar because everything else was being "rude" to God.

That same priest taught our religion class and told us that our pets will not go to Heaven with us.
"Why not?" we asked.
"You don't need your dog when you're in Heaven."
That was the moment I began to question my faith. How does he know? I want to believe my dog will be waiting for me when I die. I don't want to go to the Heaven you speak of...

That was the start. In high school, I became friends with artists and actors all of whom had this crazy outlook on life, that you, yourself, need to be happy and why should you care what others do. I took that to heart. Why should I put myself last, just because the Catholic church says I should? Who am I to judge others and their belief systems? Why do I need to put myself in a building every Sunday to prove I'm a good person? Be a good person. That's my motto! Why should I hate people who just want to love freely? Why should I judge people if they want to wear mismatched clothes, or color their hair blue?

Also, with a public education, I learned about the bloodshed and the hypocrisy of the church, and it wasn't until my sophomore year of college, when we learned about the Crusades, Bloody Mary, and all the lives lost because of religious domination, when I fully realized the absurdity of religion. It leads to war. Big and small. Wars with the state, wars with family, wars with young people, wars with gay people, wars with the world as a whole.

"God" is not a man waiting in the sky to me. I find him, as well as the Bible, to be creative story-telling. "God" is different to every human being. He may be a bearded, robed, white man to some, but to others "God" is a symbol. Some see "God" in their children, in mountains, in rivers, in gardening, whatever. Wherever you find peace and beauty within, and find a way to share that with others, THAT is "God."

I find my own truth and make my own life based on the universal religious theme; The Golden Rule. It's that simple. I see divinity in nature, in animals, in music, in art. That is where my "God" is. That's where my beauty is, that is where I see the perfection of life. It's not in hate. We all need to see that.

In bare,Sister Chantelle sings "People are so caught up with hate, that they forget The Golden Rule,"
YUP! Sing it sister!!

Seeing this show, maybe some can learn to open themselves up; To absorb love and see "God."

No comments:

Post a Comment