Friday, May 20, 2011

Forward is Calling

Well, two nights ago I watched 77 7th and 8th graders perform some of my choreography. I have never choreographed before and it was such a fantastic feeling to watch them. I had been working with them for almost two months and they were not getting it, so we had to make some cuts and put the best dancers in front, and that seemed to help immeasurably. By performance night, I was happy. Yes, there were plenty of mistakes, but the joy on their faces was priceless.
I sat in the audience a little further back and saw all the parents grinning and laughing. The kids did not expect such a strong reaction and where there once was boredom, was now excitement. They wanted to entertain this crowd. I was shocked by how much they smiled! They put in so much that night, where in class, they were a tad nonchalant.
bare will also feed off the energy of an audience. We already are so close and we just ended our first week in the theatre. There are already tears and pain, with no lights, no band, and no audience. When we can finally share this with the public, we will be triumphant.
Rehearsals have gone well past ten o'clock this week, I am always so exhausted by that point in the day.......but we are starting to clarify emotions and moments so they are deeper, clearer, and truthful. This is the point where it really starts to feel like it fits. I have faith in this show and I hope the audience sees our passion behind it.

On another note, last Saturday I was at a BBQ at my brother's house. My mother was telling me a story about a member of our extended family who has a giant struggle with accepting homosexuality in the face of Catholicism. My mom has also had a struggle with this viewpoint. I would say, starting in my later years in high school, I was a complete advocate for gay rights. My brothers and parents still didn't quite understand it. "It's not natural." And so on. My mother said, "Michelle, you will be proud of me," she goes on to say she told that other member of our family, that "it is not a choice to become gay." She says "there are two kinds of people in this world: those who learn, and those who teach, and it is your job to learn from your sons."
I consider that progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment